Staff Spotlight: 20 Questions in 2 Minutes with Mike Clyde
20 Questions in 2 Minutes is our series in which we interview Management Council staff members. This week’s guest is Mike Clyde, Professional Web Developer, with the Customer Services and Support team.
- Who inspires you?
My parents inspire me a lot. No matter how old they get, they are always helping someone. They are constantly helping other people and are very social.
- What’s the most exciting part of your job?
Putting things together for the websites and then seeing it live on the site. Especially the surveys for ODE.
- What’s your most-used productivity hack?
Multi-tasking. I’ve gotten very good at it.
- What animal would you consider your spirit animal?
Elephant because they are smart, they think through things, and they’re loyal.
- Are you a coffee or tea person?
Always been a coffee person, but ironically, I just bought tea so I can alternate my coffee and tea days. Always, though, first thing in the morning I drink hot water with lemon and honey.
- What motivates you at work?
The desire to get things done.
- What’s your favorite holiday?
- How would your friends describe you?
Athletic computer geek (they call me a computer genius, but I’m really a computer geek).
- If you could play an instrument, what would it be?
I played trombone in grade school through high school. I would like to learn how to play the guitar, and I’ve always wanted to play the drums.
- If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would do?
Not tell anyone. I wouldn’t tell anyone, and I would continue to work until I figured out what I wanted to do. I would just go about my business and let things take their course.
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?
I would like to go to Scotland and Germany where my ancestors came. Also, the Grand Canyon and a rainforest but not for very long because of the bugs.
- What’s your favorite indoor/outdoor activity?
I used to play minor league football (stopped in 2003). I like to go fishing, play horseshoes, corn hole, basketball, volleyball, and tailgate (especially for OSU). I like to play indoor darts as well.
- What was the first thing you bought with your own money?
Something out of a comic book. I think they were x-ray glasses when I was 6 or 7.
- What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever had?
It was a temp job driving giant dump trucks down into the mining pits. I had to climb a 20-foot ladder just to get in the seat. It was illegal for me to do it because I didn’t have the correct license, and I would get stuck in the mud. It was a scary job because the road was as wide as the truck with a sheer drop off.
- If you could be any fictional character, who would you choose?
Superman. I used to part my hair on the side like Superman. When I did server and desktop support, I would walk really fast to different desks all over the building and people would call me Superman because of that.
- What three traits define you?
Determined, stubborn, very understanding
- What is your personal philosophy?
Keep forging ahead. As a vacuum salesman, they told me to never use “never give up” because then the words “give up” are in your head. But, if you say to forge ahead, you will find courage to keep moving.
- Describe a “win” from the work you’ve done over the last four weeks.
Switching the theme on all three of the web sites to be the same. It was challenging at first, but then it turned out to be a good thing.
- How do you define success?
I define success by the effort I put into it. Even if I’ve accomplished something, if I didn’t put much effort into it, it’s not much of a success. But if it’s something that I’ve done my best, whether I accomplish it or not, I consider it a success.
- What is your favorite thing about working at the Management Council?
The people. My second favorite thing is the actual work I do. But I really like the people a lot. Everybody is here to do a great job. And we all work together to do what we can for the students, teachers, and staff in the schools of Ohio. So, it’s that whole atmosphere of the people here working together towards one goal. And, I have really cool teammates.